Les histoires de Bean

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Culture Inspired Fashion and Art (First Rant.... I mean... Post!)

I thought long and hard about whether or not to start a blog. Then I finally decided it was a good idea, and made one. Then I thought long and hard, the last few hours, at least, about what to make my first post about. Maybe about the huge issue over Bin Laden. Or maybe give you an inside look at my political/religious/social beliefs. Or maybe about my distaste for most leaders. But that's just not my style. >.<

So today the grandparents came to pick up my little Jelly Beans, so Anthony and I had the day (and tomorrow, but that's not here yet) to ourselves. After a healthy dosing of sex, we went to McDonalds (bad idea when you are on a diet, a chicken sandwich on whole wheat bread had as many calories as a big mac, and I am already over my calorie limit today and that is ALL I have had to eat today -insert angry hungry rant here-) and then we went to some antique shops around town. Now, I love Native American art and design, I love moccasins and dream catchers, etc, and when I love something, I like to replicate it. I was looking for a few more dream catchers and a themed rug for our bedroom floor. (We have a very mild Native American theme going on in our room, and I mean a couple of dream catchers, a piece of fake fur, and a few inspired paintings-mild.) I found these great little moccasins in pink for little girls and I wanted to get some for my Jelly Beans. We also tried on cowboy hats and big redneck belt buckles just for fun. When I got home, I got online to search for some cute Native American inspired dresses and the best way to bleach a cows skull (don't ask).

I came across another blog (too lazy to find the link) that was saying how wearing feathers in your hair or Native American inspired print clutch or a pair of moccasins was degrading and racist to Native Americans. O.o Not only is this act degrading and racists, it is especially so since we (the white man) killed all of the Native Americans in the first place.
{a picture that was on the blog post}

ok
1.)I have Native American in me. Not a lot, but a little. Most of us do.
2.)>I< personally did not kill anyone. I can not be held responsible for what my ancestors did in the past. Would you kill Hitlers child just because it was Hitlers child. I certainly hope not.
3.)-And in my opinion, the most important to consider regarding this matter-Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Fashion is like wearable art. If you admire something, would you not try to replicate it? There is a difference between mimicry and mockery. I love Native American culture, I love learning about it and studying it, and I find the designs (particularly dream catchers) to be GORGEOUS!!!Wearing a design inspired by something someone created is the perfect way to flatter their work. To show off the beauty.

The thing that got me the most, honestly, was the fact that all the people complaining about it, where not Native Americans, but -ding ding ding you guessed it!- the white man. Lots of white stuck ups trying to tell others what is and is not acceptable. Here's the thing. If you think it's degrading, don't wear it. That doesn't mean you need to attack someone else for choosing to. And honestly, I think before you should be allowed to have a negative opinion about it, ask a true Native American if it offends them, before assuming that it would. And how about this, if a true Native American ever tells me my moccasin inspired flats and feather earrings are degrading, I'll consider changing my point of view. (Did I mention I am wearing those flats on my wedding day? No? Just curious...)

And now, because I am sure that if you ARE reading this, you are tired of trying to decipher my terrible grammar/spelling, some beautiful inspiration that I like.

~~


All photos courtesy of a shameless google search, paintings by Sylvia Ji (I love her, and these three paintings especially).

So anyway, in closing, I should mention that the blog also bashed on people who let their children (or adults who did it) dress as "Cowboy and Indian" style Indians for games or parties or Halloween. Honestly, I think if the costume isn't negatively stereotypical (i.e. the "indian" drinking "fire water" and scalping the cowboy) then let it go. If one of my little girls wants to be an "Indian" for Halloween, why should I stop her? My little girls will NOT dress up as something they don't like, so if they asked to dress as a Native American, it is only out of admiration and awe.

Honestly, as long as you are doing it out of inspiration and not mockery, I say go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment